I recently brought a regular size doughnut pan and was so excited to try it out. I do owe a really mini doughnut pan but I found most recipes use regular sized pan.
I’ve really got a taste for chocolate and orange baked goods and I thought this would be perfect to try on my first regular sized doughnuts. I love doughnuts but love it more knowing that these are baked and not fried so less fattening! So maybe instead of having one, you can have two right??
In the original recipe, the didn’t use ganache but I wanted a bit of luxury added to these babies so I added the ganache! with luxury added comes more calories but oh well!
These doughnuts, I felt weren’t as fluffy as the first mini cinnamon doughnuts I made but they still tasted nice. I’m still excited to try more different doughnut recipes! So watch this space!
- 1 cup + 2tbsp - plain flour
- 5 tbsp - cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp - baking powder
- 1/4 tsp - baking soda
- 1/4 tsp - salt
- 43g - butter
- 1/3 cup - chocolate chips
- 1 tsp - espresso coffee (diluted in a little bit of water)
- 1 - egg
- 3/4 cup - buttermilk
- 1 tsp - vanilla
- 3 tbsp - orange juice (I added)
- 1 tsp - orange extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 4 oz - chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup - cream
- 1 tbsp - orange juice
- knob of butter
- Extra zest for decoration (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- 2. If you need to make buttermilk, make and let it sit.
- 3. In a small saucepan heat the butter until melted (whilst that's melting go to step 4). Add the chocolate chips, coffee, orange juice and vanilla and mix until combined. Leave to cool for a few mins. Then add the brown sugar, orange zest and egg. Stir until combined.
- 4. In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt.
- 5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold, don't over mix. Pour the ingredients in a zip lock bag and make a small incision. Pipe each doughnut hole until it's 2/3 full.
- 6. Bake for 13-15 min, until springy. Leave on a wire rack to cool.
- 1. Whilst it's baking, make the ganache. Place the chopped dark chocolate a heatproof. In a small saucepan add the cream and bring it a simmer. Add the cream to the chocolate and stir and add the orange juice, stir a little more. Then leave for 5 minutes.
- 2. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Leave to cool.
- 1. Wait until the doughnuts were completely cool before applying the ganache.
- 2. Holding the doughnut, dip the doughnut in the ganache, then swirl and then pick it up.