Cheesy Courgette Scones
Well I never knew you could make scones with courgettes, who knew? but then again, I think there are so many scone recipes that I’ve come across. I loved the kale and blue cheese scones I made. They were unusual also and really tasty!
I like courgettes, they are quite versatile and best of all they are the original sprizialise vegetable. These scones were quite tasty and with the addition of courgette, they were healthy right?
I adjusted the original recipe and omitted the sugar and replaced the sour cream with greek yoghurt which worked out fine.
- 2 1/2 cups - plain flour, divided plus extra for dusting on surface
- 3/4 tsp - salt
- 1 tbsp - baking powder
- 1/2 tsp - baking soda
- 113g - unsalted butter, VERY cold and cut into tiny pieces
- 1 large - egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup - greek yoghurt
- 2/3 cup - zucchini, grated and drained (measure the courgettes once they are drained)
- 11/2 tsp - dijon mustard
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp - dried parsley
- 1 tsp - garlic powder
- chilli flakes to taste
- 3/4 cup - sharp cheddar cheese, grated, divided
- Extra cheese for topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 205°C. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. In a large bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, parsley, garlic powder, pepper and chilli flakes.
- 3. Cut the butter into small cubes then quickly work it into the mixture (using your fingers) until it resembles a breadcrumbs. Add the grated courgettes and cheese and toss into the flour.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yoghurt and dijon mustard, then add to flour mixture. Gently fold them into dough with a spatula until combined.
- 5. Pour the shaggy dough out onto a clean, floured work surface and shape the dough (you will have to work/knead it quite a bit to get it together) then use the scone cutter. Repeat the process until all the dough has been used. Place the scone on the baking tray and sprinkle the top of each scone with a little cheese.
- 6. Bake for 22-24 minutes, or until cooked through and the tops are golden brown.