I love these mini bundt tins, they are so cute aren’t they? I was so grateful that my dad brought the tin for me. Although I have had these tins for a while I haven’t used it. I know, tut tut naughty me!
I decided I wanted to make a lemon and poppy seed cake as my mum likes her lemon cakes. I liked how this recipe has sour cream I thought it would give it extra moistness.
I didn’t realise how much mixture this recipe had made, I would suggest halving the recipe if you just wanted to make it for one bundt tin. I had to use a loaf tin for the rest of the mixture. I actually didn’t think that cake was that moist and it needed a lot more lemon oomph.
- 1 cup - caster sugar
- 2 tbsp - grated lemon rind
- 226g - unsalted butter, softened
- 4 eggs (medium)
- 1/4 cup - lemon juice
- 2 cups - plain flour
- 11/2 tbsp - poppy seeds
- 3/4 tsp - baking powder
- 1/4 tsp - salt
- 1/2 tsp - baking soda
- 1/2 cup - sour cream
- 1 cup - icing sugar
- 5 tsp - lemon juice, (approx)*
- 1. Preheat the oven at 160°C and grease the bundt tin and line and grease a loaf tin.
- 2. In a stand mixer mix in butter until light. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each, add in lemon juice.
- 3. In separate bowl, whisk together flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Add into butter mixture alternately with sour cream, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of sour cream. Pour the mixture in the bundt tine and the loaf pan.
- 4. Bake the bundt tin for 30 minutes and around 1 hour for large loaf. Leave to cool and then drizzle the bundt tin.
- Icing: In small bowl, stir icing sugar with lemon juice until smooth. Divide in half.
- *adjust the lemon juice to your taste.