Yet another year flies by for my Mum’s birthday, this year it fell on Shravan so it was an excuse to try an another eggless cake recipe!…this one had a hint of passion…the passion fruit kind. I love the taste of passion fruit it’s just so delicious and exotic. I remember when I was little and I used to loveeeeee drinking Rubicon passion fruit drink, now my taste buds have slightly changed even though I still would drink it. I prefer mango and passion fruit smoothie or passion fruit yoghurt, sooooooo delicious.
This Passion fruit topping was really easy to make and created an amazingly delicious topping to the cake. It’s better to use ripe passion fruit as they can taste quite tart. I used two to decorate the cake, I wasn’t sure if I would need five as you don’t really get much, but what I realised is it’s not too bad and two was plenty.
- For the Cake
- 225g - self raising flour
- 3/4 tsp - baking powder
- 1/2 tsp - baking soda
- 1/4 tsp - salt
- 200g - caster sugar
- 1 tbsp - cider vinegar
- 275 ml - milk (or which ever milk to make vegan)
- 75 ml - oil (whichever you prefer I used veg oil)
- 2 tsp - vanilla extract
- For the icing
- 300g - full fat cream cheese
- 2 - passion fruit (I added sugar to taste as the passion fruit were slightly sour)
- For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C / 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tray with paper liners or grease and flour the tray.
- In a bowl, sieve together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk the dry mixture using a hand held whisk until all the ingredients are thoroughly blended, about a minute. Add the caster sugar and mix again.
- In another bowl or measuring jug, beat the vinegar, milk, oil and vanilla extract using the same hand held whisk.
- Create a small well in the dry ingredients and pour all the wet mixture at once into the dry ingredients. Fold the mixture with a spatula until all the ingredients are combined completely.