I’ve heard of savoury cakes, I don’t think are odd or like yuk or how can you eat that?! I think it’s interesting and if you’ve had enough of eating sweet cakes or trying to avoid sugar this is a good way of getting that cake texture but in a savoury form. My dad isn’t found of too much sweet things so I was excited about making this especially for him.
The original recipe was made to be sweet but I adjusted it to being savoury and spicy just how I like it! I wouldn’t have liked to try this as a sweet cake espically as it has herbs in the soup tin. Although if you prefer the sound of a sweet tomato cake, the original recipe is in the link below.
When I tried the cake, you actually forget that it is a cake and a just a very very soft savoury bread, the taste of tomatoes didn’t come through as well I thought it would but it was tasty and flavoursome. I find It’s better when the next day or when it’s completely cooled.
- 1/2 cup - oil
- 2 - eggs (I used medium)
- 1 can - tomato soup (any variety will do)
- 2 cups - plain flour
- 1 tbsp - baking powder (yes a whole tablespoon)
- 1 tsp - baking soda
- 3/4 tsp - salt
- 1 tsp - chilli flakes or to taste (I like it hot)
- 1/2 tsp - oregano
- 1/2 tsp - basil
- 1/4 tsp - paprika
- 1/4 cup - grated cheese with extra for the top
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1. Preheat the oven to 175°C and line a bread tin with greaseproof paper.
- 2. In a large bowl, whisk together the oil and eggs. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until combined.
- 3. Pour into the loaf tin and bake for 45-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.