Blueberries are yum I love their juiciness and little cuteness.
After reading up about blueberries, I didn’t realise HOW good they are for you, e.g Blueberries are rich in Vitamin K, vitamin C which helps in absorption of iron, and improves immune system but they also have a whole load of other good qualities about them! awwww I think I love them even more now!
Anyway when I made it was looking quite sunny and it kind of reminds me of something you would have at a picnic yummmmmmmmmmmy.
- For base and crumble
- 1/2 cup (113g) - unsalted butter (cut into cubes)
- 1/2 cup - light brown sugar
- 1 cup - plain flour
- I used 1/2 - ground almond instead of the extra 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 tsp - baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 - egg (lightly beaten)
- I added to the dough
- 3/4 tsp - cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp - mixed spice
- 1/4 cup - sugar
- 2 tsp - cornflour
- 1 tbs - freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups - blueberries (frozen will do but I thawed mine out a bit)
- 113g - sour cream
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease a 8" square tin with parchment paper.
- 2. Put the blueberries in a bowl and allow to thaw for a little while, once the blueberries have thawed out combine 1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch, stir in lemon juice. Leave for a while.
- 3. In another bowl add the flour, sugar, plain flour, ground almonds, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, mixed spice and butter and then crumble the butter into the mixture until it resembles breadcrumbs. In another small bowl add lightly beat the egg and add it into the crumble mixture it's a bit gooey and the egg doesn't mix well but it worked!
- 4. Use enough mixture to cover the base of the tin, there isn't that much mixture but make sure it's covered.
- 5. Mix the sour cream into the blueberry mixture and then spread across the tin.
- 6. Finally add the rest of the crumble mixture on top of the blueberries and then bake for 35-40 minutes.
- 7. Let it cool then sprinkle icing sugar on top and cut into slices.
- I think next time I will double the crumble mixture so I get a bit more out of it.