I first remember eating Gozleme in one of the London food markets over 10 years ago and absolutely loved them 😋. I just loved the thin, chewy but crispy texture of the flat bread with the fresh spinach and salty cheese.
So if you didn’t know, what are Gozleme?…
Gozleme is coined from the Turkish word ‘goz’ which translates to ‘compartment or eye’ in English is a sweet-smelling, freshly made pastry that is indigenous to Turkey. Gozleme, as it is popularly called is made from a big, circular dough that has been spread thin like a wafer. This snack is so named because it is made of pockets of dough where toppings are placed and sealed before they are cooked.
I found this amazing recipe it is so easy to follow and make. These turned out to be so delicious and I will definately be making them again. This would work well as part of mezze board. I made these a medium sized, but they can be made any size you want. They are so versatile any filling can be added.
- 250g - Plain flour
- 120ml - Lukewarm water*
- 1/4 cup - Plain yogurt
- 1tsp - Instant dry yeast
- 1/4tsp - Sugar
- 1/2tsp - Salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Olive oil for kneading
- 1 - onion finely chopped
- I bag - fresh spinach chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1/4tsp - salt to taste
- Chilli flakes (optional)
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 packet - feta cheese crumbled
- 1. Place the sugar, yeast and water in a large bowl and mix well. Keep aside in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- 2. Add the remaining ingredients (flour, plain yogurt and salt to the bowl. Mix well to form a dough.
- 3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- 4. Put the dough back to the bowl, brush with olive oil, cover with a clean towel and allow to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size in a warm place.
- 5. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces, form balls and roll out each ball on a lightly floured surface into a 23 cm/9 inch circle ( 2 mm thick).
- 6. On one side of each circle add one-two tablespoons of the mixture.
- 7. Fold the other half of the dough over and seal the edges.
- 8. Lightly grease a pan with oil and heat it over high heat. Brush each gozleme with oil and cook for 2 minutes per each side or until golden. Repeat with the remaining gozleme.
- 1. In a frying pan add some olive oil and then the onions, let it soften, then add the garlic let it cook for a minute. Add the salt, pepper and chilli flakes then add the spinach. Place a lid over and let it cook until all the spinach has wilted down.
- 2. Once cooked, leave to cool and add the feta cheese.
- *You may not need all the water as different types of flour absorb at different rates. I recommend to add water gradually.