Eggless Spiced Apple Cake
This cake shouts autumn, it has the lovely spice and apples and to top it off it’s eggless too woop. The mornings and evenings are really starting to get that bit chilly and the leaves are starting to change to the beautiful reds and orange shades how beautiful.
I found the taste of apples were not quite there. I think as this cake is so similar to carrot cake you get mistaken with thinking it’s a carrot cake and not an apple cake. For future baking I would suggest to cut the apples into chunks and possibly add some more of top of the cake which hopefully will bring give more of an apple taste and add a bite too.
The cream cheese frosting is always a must and something that always gives the cake the extra lift. Please don’t forget to add this!
- 11/2 cup - plain flour
- 1 cup - brown sugar
- 1 tsp - baking soda
- 1/2 tsp - baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp - cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp - ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp - salt
- 1 cup - grated apple
- 3/4 cup - water
- 1/2 cup - extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp - vanilla extract
- 1 tsp - vinegar
- 3/4 cup - chopped walnuts
- 250g - cream cheese
- 40g - unsalted butter
- 1/4-1/2cup - icing sugar
- 1. Line and grease a 9-inch round/square baking pan. Preheat the oven to 175°C.
- 2. In a large bowl of a stand or hand mixer blend all the dry ingredients add flours, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt).dd the grated carrot and stir until well blend.
- 3. In a separate bowl mix the wet ingredients (water, olive oil, vanilla and vinegar). Add the wet ingredients to the first mix and mix until combined.
- 4. Fold in the grated carrot and walnuts until just combined.
- 5. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 1. In a stand mixer on a slow speed beat together the icing sugar and butter until smooth. Add the cream cheese beat on high speed until it's all smooth and combined.