Firstly I would like to wish everyone Happy Navratri. (Navarati is the festival usually celebrated in the autumn, the word Navaratri literally means nine nights in Sanskrit. It symbolises the triumph of good over evil. During this festival the goddess Durga is worshiped) it’s also a no meat (which includes no eggs too) & no drink period as it’s an religious event.
When I came across this recipe I decided to give it a go now as it doesn’t contain any eggs and is veg. I love the taste of sweet potato, I usually roast mine but have never thought of stuffing them!
I loved the flavours in this recipe, it had cumin and chilli, which is always nice but I also added a bit of lemon to give it that extra zing!
- 6 – small sweet potatoes
- *some sweetcorn
- *some spinach
- can – black beans
- 3 cloves – crushed garlic
- 3/4 tsp – salt
- generous amount of ground pepper
- 1 tsp – ground cumin
- 1/2-11/2 tsp – chilli powder
- dash of chilli flakes
- squeeze of 1/4 lemon
- some grated cheese
- finely cut red onion
- 1. Preheat oven at 150°C oil a oven tray.
- 2. Prick the sweet potatoes and microwave for 10-13 mins make sure you cover the potatoes with a microwave cover.
- 3. Add olive oil into a frying pan wait till it’s hot then crushed garlic cook for a minute then add the sweetcorn and spinach, add the seasoning let it cook and once it’s finished cooking empty the contents in a mixing bowl.
- 4. Make sure the sweet potatoes are cooked enough to be scooped out and if not cook for longer.
- 5. Scoop out the potato filling (leaving a bit around the edges to keep the potato stable) using a melon scoop or a spoon if you don’t have one, once finished empty into the mixing bowl with the cooked spinach and sweetcorn.
- 6. Mix the mixture in the bowl throughly and taste the mixture, add more seasoning if needed.
- 7. Fill each sweet potato with the mixture and then add the grated cheese then the red onions.
- 8. If cooking later then cook for 20-25mins on 170°C.
- * Sorry about not measuring these ingredients I just guessed.
- Next time I make this I wouldn't add as much sweetcorn but more spinach as the sweet potatoes are sweet enough. I'd also add some fresh coriander with the garnish.
- One mistake I made was using small thin potatoes instead of big rounder style one, this would be easier to fill and hold it's shape, just remember this will need longer microwave and cooking time.