This cake reminded me of being on a tropical holiday with the flavours of coconut and lime. I haven’t made a cake containing lime in and it was quite refreshing.
I liked the recipe but I wanted to make a few extra changed. I added a little bit of pistachio to give it a bit of bite and texture, although I don’t think there was quite enough, so I would add a lot more. I also added a syrup to the cake to give it more flavour.
This cake turned out quite moist and I would make it again but add more pistachios.
- 175g - unsalted butter at room temperature
- 200g - caster sugar
- 3 - eggs (I used medium)
- 100g - Greek yogurt
- Juice and zest of one lime (I zested 3 limes)
- 60g - desiccated coconut
- 175g - self raising flour
- 1 tsp - baking powder
- 1 tbsp - malibu (optional)
- For syrup (optional)
- Juice of one lime
- 3 tsp - sugar
- For icing
- 100g - icing sugar
- Juice of one lime
- lime zest from 1-2 limes
- 1. Preheat your oven to 150°C for a fan oven and line a standard sized loaf tin with baking paper
- 2. In a stand mixer add the butter and sugar to a bowl and whisk until pale and fluffy. Add in one egg at a time and whisk, ensuring each egg is well incorporated before adding the next. The mixture should be light and quite runny. Add in the lime juice, yogurt and malibu and whisk until well combined.
- 3. Mix in the flour, baking powder, coconut, lime zest and pistachio mix for a minute then fold.
- 4. Place in the lined loaf tin and into the oven for about 50-60 minutes. Check after about 40 minutes and turn in the oven if necessary to ensure it bakes evenly. Check with a cake tester when golden brown on top.
- 5. Whilst the cake is baking, (and there is about 10 minutes left for the cooking time) in a small pan place the lime zest and sugar and heat on a low heat until turns to a syrup.
- 6. Remove from the oven and poke the cake with scattered holes then pour the syrup over the cake then leave to cool in the tin for about 10-15 minutes before taking out to cool completely on a wire rake. Make sure the cake is completely cool before decorating.
- 7. In a small bowl place the juice and icing sugar then drizzle over the cake add the chopped pistachio and grated lime zest over the cake.