Instead of the ever so popular mince pies, I wanted to make something different. I have made two variations before the Mincemeat crumble bars and Mincemeat cookies. I wanted to try something else. I was fancying some scones and thought why don’t I combine the two and I found a recipe for them.
I got a bit too over excited and added a bit too much mincemeat mix. This made my scones a bit too wet and they ended up being a cross being a scone and a cake! bit of a disaster but still edible. I have left the recipe with the original amount of Mincemeat and I would suggest to stick too it, otherwise you may end up having the same disaster as me :/.
- 500g - self-raising flour
- 1tsp - baking powder
- 1tsp - ground cinnamon
- 100g - unsalted butter, diced
- 200g - mincemeat
- 284ml - buttermilk
- milk for brushing
- flaked almonds (optional)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- 2. In a medium sized bowl add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Rub the butter into the flour with your finger tips until it is completly encorporated then lightly toss through the mincemeat.
- 3. Stir in the buttermilk with the blade of a knife to make a soft dough.
- 4. Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and pat out with your hands until about 4cm thick. Using a pastry cutter cut around 8 scones.
- 5. Brush with milk, scatter with the flaked almonds and gently press to help them stick. Bake for 12 minutess until golden.