There are quite a few recipes for cereal bars out there but I wanted something that was made without any butter and tried to be as healthy as possible. I seen this recipe and was amazed there was no butter and used honey as the binding agent. I’ve been hooked ever since, these are a good alternative to the supermarket bars out there.
The bars don’t have the same texture as a flapjack it’s drier (it doesn’t contain the butter and golden syrup) but to make it less dry you can add more honey.
- 1 1/2 cups – oats
- 1 1/2 cups – rice cereal
- *1/2 cup – chopped almonds or walnuts or cashew any nuts of your choice or you can mix the nuts
- 3/4 cup – honey
- 1 tbsp – water
- 1 tsp – pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp – cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp – ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup – sultanas
- 1. Preheat your oven to 150°C. Grease and line a square tin with baking paper
- 2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the honey, water, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Whisk until evenly mixed. Then, combine the oats, rice cereal, chopped almonds, and sultanas into the syrup mixture.
- 3. Put the mixture in a the baking tray and use a spatula to make it level.
- 4. Bake at 150°C degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- 5. Once completely cooled, remove and slice into bars (However big you prefer)
- I changed this recipe a bit, the original called for more nuts and I only used 1/2 a cup so I added rice cereal to replace it, I didn’t use cranberries and replaced it with sultanas as I usually have them in my cupboard. I also added a sprinkle of dark brown sugar on top.
- You can also be experimental and put other ingredients in too like coconut, chocolate chips, banana chips, dates, prunes, cherries, seeds etc…give it a go 🙂
- * I cut the nuts into small pieces, this made it easier to cut the bars when they were cooled, also make sure you have enough honey to bind the mixture sometimes I add slightly more.